The named members of staff who deals with queries from parents and members of the public is?

Mrs Ryan and Mrs Lowther.

How do I apply for a place in Reception Class?

If your child is in Dame Dorothy Nursery they do not automatically qualify for a place in Reception class. For applications to Reception class, a letter will be sent out from the Local Authority to Nursery children, to be distributed by the school, detailing how to apply.

How do I apply for secondary school?

For applications to Secondary school a letter will be sent out from the Local Authority to Year 6 children, to be distributed by the school, detailing how to apply.

How do I transfer my child to another school?

For a transfer between schools, parents/carers would need to ask their current school for a ‘School Transfer Application Form’ which they would complete and have signed by their Head Teacher.

What are the opening and closing times?

Breakfast club opens 8.00am, Early Birds 8.30am and doors open for all children at 8.45am. Gates and doors close at 8.55am. End of the school day is 3.15pm.

How much is Dinner money?

Dinner money is £2.20 per day, £11 per week.

What is Parent View?

Parent View gives you the chance to tell us what you think about your child’s school.

Parent View asks for your opinion on 12 aspects of your child’s school, from the quality of teaching, to dealing with bullying and poor behaviour. We will use the information you provide when making decisions about which schools to inspect, and when

What do I do if my child goes to Breakfast Club?

Once they have a confirmed place in Breakfast Club, they will come to school for 8.00am to the main reception, £2 per day.

Who do I give my child’s school trip money to?

Trip money is paid using the School Gateway app.

How much are school music lessons?

Music lessons at Dame Dorothy are free.

Which subjects are taught?

Literacy, Numeracy, Science, IT, Geography, History, RE, PE, Swimming, Art, DT, Music, PSHE & MFL (French)

What support is available if my son or daughter is struggling?

Speak to the class teacher to discuss what can be done to help.

What are INSET days?

INSET days are staff training days.

When do we get a school report for our child?

School reports are sent out in the summer term, usually early July.

How frequently are parents’ evenings?

We hold three parents’ evenings during the year:-

September – Curriculum showcase

February – One-to-one appointment

July – Follow to reports, one to one appointments

Parents’ Evenings – what do we do about our child/younger siblings?

If parents/carers are able to have a younger sibling looked after this would give them the opportunity to speak more easily with the teacher. Of course we understand that this is not always possible, so younger siblings are always welcome in school.

When can my child learn a musical instrument?

Children start to learn musical instruments from reception class up to year 6.

Is PE kit compulsory?

Children do need to bring a PE kit to be able to take part in PE lessons. PE kits can be worn when coming to school on PE days, with PE kits available to buy from Total Sport Sunderland.

Am I allowed to take my child out of school for a holiday or day off?

What happens if I do?

It is not recommended that parents take children out of school during term time – any absence cannot be authorised by school and would be recorded as an unauthorised absence. More information can be found by clicking on the link below;


Are staff DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checked?

All staff who work in schools must be DBS checked before commencing employment.

Are your activity instructors qualified?

All coaches/instructors hold appropriate qualifications and are DBS checked.

What is the school policy on jewellery?

Children are allowed to wear a pair of small stud earrings in school – parents/carers need to sign a disclaimer form. Children must be able to remove the earrings themselves before PE.

What are the options available for school meals?

We encourage our children to enjoy a school meal, please feel free to view the menu on the school website, or displayed in school.

Can I pay for clubs and lunches online?

Yes using School Gateway app.

What if my child is ill at school?

The child will be cared for by our first aiders and every attempt will be made to contact parents/carers – please make sure contact details are kept up to date.

My child has lost a recent letter from the school – how can I get a copy?

Ask the class teacher or call in at the office.

What are school office hours?

The school office is open 8.00 to 4.30 every day.

Tickets for events – do we need them and can extended family attend?

We only usually issue tickets for the Christmas celebration. We always try to accommodate extended family, occasionally we have to limit numbers due to health and safety requirements.

What can I do to help my child at home?

Support with homework, read with them daily, help them learn spellings and practise times tables.

What happens if my child is on medication?

See Miss Ward/Mrs Ryan to complete a care plan whilst your child is on medication.

What do I do if my child has head-lice?

Please notify the school (teacher or at the Office) and a letter will be sent out to the whole class asking parents to be vigilant regarding head lice.

Is detention given and what does this involve?

We do not give out detention. A sanction may involve missing part of a playtime or a lunchtime period to complete an unfinished task. A repeat of an incident may result in more time or the entire period of break being missed by the pupil with the supervision of a member of staff.

How will I know if an after school club has been cancelled?

In the unfortunate event that an after school club needs to be cancelled, a text will be sent out to the parents/carers of that club.

What provision does the school have for scooters /bikes?


Can parents use the school driveway to drop and pick pupils to/from school?

No, all parents must use the car park across the road from school is available for parents/carers to use.

What happens if I am late collecting my child?

We do appreciate parents collecting the children promptly. In the event that a parent is late the child will be brought up to wait outside the Office. If there has been no contact from the family, we will ring to find out what is happening.

Is my child entitled to free school dinners?

Please ask at the office for a form to apply for free school meals, the form shows the criteria for eligibility.

What happens if parents and carers want to make a complaint about the school?

There are forms available in the foyer if parents wish to fill them in, they will be reviewed and appropriate action taken.

School contact details:
Dame Dorothy Primary School
Dock Street
0191 2505525